This position can be located in Portland, OR or Santa Clara, CA or Durham, NC
Our world class Engineering Compute team is seeking a Sr. Staff HPC Engineer responsible for scaling Ampere's high-performance compute needs to best serve innovative engineering projects within the company.
What you'll do:
- Explore emerging technologies and technical developments to address expanding compute, networking, and memory requirements.
- Implement industry standard orchestration tools like Terraform to automate everything.
- Work with internal teams and SW/EDA vendors to implement best practices, and identify inefficiencies and bottlenecks.
- Drive capacity planning, negotiations, and purchase of engineering compute licensing, machines, storage, and network
- Design, build, and deploy highly scalable compute environments to allow for infinite growth.
- Modify and implement job flows that balance resources in both cloud and on prem.
- Identify and implement monitoring solutions that effectively show utilization of compute resources and licenses, to best serve different engineering projects within the company
- Create data driven forecasting to track development cycles/projects.
What you bring:
- Ability to drive technical leadership and management of complex large-scale HPC system projects.
- Planning and deploying additional compute and storage in cloud and on-prem data centers.
- Effective and skilled at communication/collaborating with multiple internal groups and business units located around the world.
- Experience with Platform LSF or other scheduling and resource management technologies.
- Supporting web-based systems performance analysis, recommending modifications, and executing system changes in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- ASIC design flow, EDA, design simulations with large compute jobs across multiple machines and cores, would be a plus.
- Install and configure IC Design/EDA software tools in a primarily Linux based environment
- Ability to create TCL/Tk modules and wrappers.
- Fluent in Python, Perl, Ruby, PowerShell, Bash, Chief, or other scripting languages.
- Cloud automation and workload experience (AWS, Azure, OCI, or GCP).
- Linux systems administration experience.
- Leading projects both as a project manager and technical lead
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (English).
- Ability to multitask effectively in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to manage without authority.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent experience.
Perks in Portland
- Walking distance of breweries, landscaped parks, art galleries, restaurants and shops
- Garage parking
- On-site bike parking and repair station
- On-site café, bar, and market
- Roof top terrace with Willamette River views
- Healthy snacks, espresso and drinks
- Standing /Ergo friendly desk set-up
- Game room
- Unlimited Flextime and 10+ paid holidays
Ampere is designing the future of hyperscale cloud and edge computing with the world’s first cloud native processor. Built for the cloud with a modern 64-bit Arm server-based architecture, Ampere gives customers the freedom to accelerate the delivery of all cloud computing applications. With industry-leading cloud performance, power efficiency and scalability, Ampere processors are tailored for the continued growth of cloud and edge computing.
Like the scientist behind its name, Ampere employees are innovators. We understand the needs of cloud computing and different software requirements. We are inventing what comes next and looking at everything from the structure of memory and how efficient the system is, to considerations on speed, cost of electricity and ability to cool. Power, size, weight and cost are driving the technology requirements and the innovation to come.
Our world class team of engineers, with depth and expertise in the cloud and semiconductor industries, is not only focused on the development of new semiconductor designs but also building out the first software ecosystem for Arm®-based server processors. Through the Ampere approach to the cloud and edge, we give our customers the freedom to challenge the status quo and accelerate next-generation data centers for the most memory-intensive applications. Given the challenge we have outlined, we are building a culture of entrepreneurs that ensure customers come first, proactively approaching industry challenges in the areas of security, power and performance, delivering results that matter most.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.